- Enter a flexible swab several centimeters with a slow, steady motion along the floor of the nose (straight back, not up the nose) until the posterior nasopharynx has been reached (distance from nostrils to external opening of ear).
- Place finger on the tip of the patient’s nose and depress slightly.
- Once resistance is met (the swab should pass into the pharynx relatively easily), rotate the swab several times and withdraw the swab.
- Break off top of swab (it will snap off).
- Place in transport medium.
- Ensure the specimen is labeled and transport to the laboratory.
Denver Health Infectious Disease Laboratory
Adapted from BC CDC PHSA Lab Manual